Finally another woodworking project: I made three trivets (“Topfuntersetzer” in German) from a beechwood board bought at the local home improvement store. Steps of the project:
- Cut into the right shape (using both a small table saw as well as an electric fret saw)
- Mill corners to get them in a nice round shape (using more gear, namely a milling cutter)
- Sanding it to maximum smoothness (by hand. Using grains of 40, 100, 240, 400, 600). Then rinse and and let try
- Use oil for finishing: according to various sources on the Internet, walnut oil works just fine. And it did.
- Another sanding off for final finishing (240, 400, 600)
An easy project – and I like the end result. Minor blemishes prove it is indeed home-made 🙂